Charismatic and innovative, woodworker Roy Underhill has been educating and entertaining people with his unrivaled knowledge of traditional hand tools and woodworking techniques for more than 30 years. Now you can enjoy all the classic episodes from the second season of his hit PBS show any time you want. This 2-DVD set gives you six hours with Roy, in these episodes:
- Handles — Watch as Roy examines a number of tool handles, then creates an axe handle from a split of hickory and turns a chisel handle.
- Candle Stand — Follow along as Roy walks you through the steps of creating a classic walnut candle stand.
- Handplanes — Learn the history of a wide variety of handplanes as Roy explains their many and specialized uses.
- In Yer Drawers — Join Roy as he makes a hand-hewn, half-blind dovetailed drawer for his workbench, and discusses many of the techniques used in traditional drawer making.
- Findin’ & Fixin’ — See what Roy discovers at a scrap yard, antique store and flea market on his way to “The Woodwright’s Shop.”
- Saws — It’s all about staying sharp, and in this episode Roy examines the dizzying array of saws available, from familiar panel saws to bowsaws and pit saws. Plus, as a special bonus Roy shows you how to sharpen a bowsaw.
- Williamsburg Blacksmiths — Accompany Roy on a visit to Colonial Williamsburg to work with the living history museum’s blacksmiths as they make a froe, and forge a cant hook.
- Window Sash — Discover what’s involved in handcrafting window sash as Roy walks you through the process.
- Boat Building — Join Roy on a visit to the Hampton Mariner’s Museum, whe he discovers more about the history of small boat building.
- A Tale of Two Toys — Take a trip down memory lane as Roy looks at a collection of classic wood toys, then shows you how to create a Crow Chaser.
Whether you’re a life-long woodworker, new to it, or rediscovering the joy of woodworking all over again, you’re sure to find inspiration, encouragement and valuable information every moment you spend with Roy.